Friday, February 13, 2009

Real men do write historical fiction

I received an email from someone who read my blog and he let me know that he writes historical fiction. When I choose an HF book I don't check to see if it's written by a man or a woman. I'm only reading the blurb on the back and perhaps a page or 2 to see if it holds my interest. But I never stop to think is it written by a man or a woman. Men write just as well, if at times, not better, HF than woman. Jude Morgan's writings come to mind.....sublime and vivid imagery.

I cut my historical fiction teeth so to speak on Louis L'Amour. My father was a huge fan and I used to read them as quickly as he was finished. I didn't know at the time they could be construed as HF. I just thought of them as westerns, which of course they are that as well. But it dawned on me after reading the email that I have quite a few male writers of Historical Fiction. Jude Morgan, Colin Falconer, Steven Pressfield, Christian Jacq, John Speed, Wilbur Smith and James Clavell to name a few.

I am appreciative of the email sender for reminding me that men have their foot planted firmly in this genre as well. Male or female, it doesn't matter to me. Just continue to give me good stories. I am most appreciative.

3 comments:

ctabuk said...

Google News appears to like Historical Fiction Books to.

Simply search New Historical Fiction Books and you will see an article.

Kitty said...

Steven Saylor also comes to mind. He writes about ancient Rome.

Helena said...

Thank you both.