Sunday, March 16, 2008

Time-Don't mess with mine

It amazes me, that in a society that places so much emphasis on time, that people still think nothing of wreaking havoc on someone else's schedule.

Here it is Sunday and a prospective employer asked me yesterday if I would meet with him today at 11 am to discuss a job opening. Since I am not getting that many bites, I said absolutely. Being the time Nazi that I am, I show up 15 minutes early. It's what one's told to do to make a good impression on potential employers. It is now the time of interview, and still no one has shown up. I have also received no phone calls. Another 15 minutes rolls by and now I am somewhat miffed, but it's workable. I listen to my radio, spot clean my truck and check my watch. Yet another 10 minutes rolls by. So, I leave a note in the door and a voice mail to announce that Helena has left the parking lot and should he wish to call and reschedule, he may do so.

This tells me two things about this employer: 1. He thinks his time is more valuable than mine and 2: he's not that serious about filling the position. News flash: Just because you own your own business does not make your time more valuable than anyone else's. Irregardless of that you may think differently. Should you be so lucky as to employ me, you will get someone who thinks both of our times are important and should be respected.

I dislike people who mess up my schedule.

No comments: